Our foodbank works using a voucher referral system. Find out more about how we work.
We know that anyone can find themselves at crisis point for a number of different reasons.
In order to provide the most appropriate help for the circumstances of your situation we work with local agencies in the Hackney community. If they feel you are struggling to put food on the table, they can issue you with a foodbank voucher. These local agencies can also provide longer term support and access to information about resources that can help to address some of the issues behind the reasons for your crisis.
During lockdown, most of the referral agencies below can issue foodbank vouchers remotely.
There are many referral agencies in Hackney. CONTACT US to find out which one is best for your type of crisis. Here is a brief list of some examples:
- Fair Finance (finance and debt advice): https://www.fairfinance.org.uk 0208 988 0627
- Riverside Engage Hackney: https://www.riverside.org.uk/care-and-support/ 0800 953 4044
- Citizens Advice Bureau East End: http://www.eastendcab.org.uk/ or call 0808 2082138 (freephone) or text ‘Help’ to 07860041410
- Your local JobCentre Plus: https://www.gov.uk/contact-jobcentre-plus
- Hackney Council Housing: https://hackney.gov.uk/housing-options
- Hackney Coronavirus Financial Support and Advice: https://hackney.gov.uk/coronavirus-financial-support
- Hackney Discretionary Crisis Support Scheme: https://hackney.gov.uk/discretionary-crisis-support-scheme
- Peter Bedford (housing): https://www.peterbedford.org.uk/
- Hackney Council Children and Families: https://hackney.gov.uk/children-and-families
- Turning Point (addiction and mental health): https://www.turning-point.co.uk/services/city-hackney
- Mind in Hackney (mental health): https://www.mindchwf.org.uk/
- Greenhouse Project (homelessness) https://www.homeless.org.uk/homeless-england/service/thamesreach-greenhouse-walk-in-centre
- Shoreditch Trust (health and wellbeing): https://www.shoreditchtrust.org.uk/ 020 7033 8501 or 020 7033 8587
- British Red Cross Refugee Service: Email: [email protected] or call: 020 7704 5670
When you contact a referral agency they will take some basic details from you to complete the voucher. This will help them to identify the cause of your crisis and offer practical guidance. It also means we are able to prepare suitable emergency food for the right number of people.